BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

RAINEY'S FIRST CAMPING TRIP!
















So we decided to go on our ward camp out this weekend. We started out having a lot of fun. The kids were happy to be outside, Mark was happy that he was doing something Dad-Like with his kids, mom was happy that everyone else was happy! We roasted hot dogs, and marshmellows, gabbed with our friends. Did all the stuff that you normally have fun doing on a camp out. Then.....tragedy struck! I went to change the baby's diaper and low and behold found 3 ticks crawling on his.....you know....ding a ling! I found like 5 on him. So I made Savi come and strip and found 4 crawling on her. I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but I have a fairly decent tick phobia. I was physically sickened. I had to put my head down between my knees at one point. But all was okay after I got them off. Poor Audrey had to submit to your basic cavity search as well much to her 11 year old humiliation. So then it got dark and we were all having fun sitting around the camp fire. We kind of adopted a little boy in our ward named David and Jakob likes to tease him. So Jake had his hands up like claws and was stalking David as David backed away and Jake tripped...right into the fire wood pile. He let our a cry, then went limp and started making gagging noises. I looked and his eye looked like it was bulging out of the socket. There was a little blood, but baby was not responding very well so we rushed him to the emergency room. They took us right back, and after he threw up in the sink, they were able to assess that he didn't have any broken bones in his face, but that he had a scratched cornea. I saw the scratch. It is about a quarter inch wide all the way across his eye. It was very scary, and I keep thinking how blessed we are that there wasn't a sharp part on the log that he his because it could have been a really bad situation. As it is, his eye was swollen shut for a day, and now he looks like a prize fighter. When the girls saw him the next day, Audrey's eyes welled with tears, and Savanna said "Mom, Jakob looks kind of ugly." Nothing like adding insult to injury! But baby will heal. So our first camping trip as a family ended up with mom finding 15 ticks on her babies overall, and a trip to the ER. Not sure we will be trying it again to soon.

2 comments:

Dacia said...

I LOVE YOU! Don't give up on camping... practice makes perfect! Been thinking about you and the swine flu, I know these things freak you out, among other things, like ticks... Anyway... friend of mine and her kids got really sick and then realized her sister and brother in law had just been to Mexico, can you say "TOTAL FREAK OUT!"? But all is well now. Keep in touch. I MISS YOU! LOVES~
Dacia

Dacia said...

Oh and you're right, your baby boy has GOT to quit falling down!!! What a trooper! LOVE YA!